A Chili Charcuterie Board transforms a humble bowl of chili into a fun and customizable meal. Try a chili board at your next chili party!
When it comes to hosting a crowd-pleasing gathering during the colder months or a big game day, there's nothing quite like a hearty bowl of chili. But why settle for just chili when you can elevate your chili dinner party with a Chili Charcuterie Board?
This innovative concept combines the beloved flavors of chili with the fun and interactive nature of a charcuterie board, making it the perfect addition to your next chili-themed gathering.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This is the best way to serve chili because it offers a wide array of toppings, sides, and accompaniments to customize your chili to perfection.
- Your guests get to assemble their own individual bowls of chili, creating a unique and personalized experience.
- Your chili party will be filled with a simple yet impressive spread that doesn't require a lot of work.
Chili Dinner Ideas
Have you wondered what to serve with chili besides cornbread? To create a stunning Chili Charcuterie Board, you'll need the following components. The full recipe with all the topping ideas is in the printable recipe card below!
Homemade Chili: Chili is the star of this charcuterie board. You can use your favorite chili recipe, whether it's homemade or store-bought. Consider making a slow cooker chili to keep things easy and warm throughout your gathering.
Chili Toppings: Some favorite toppings include shredded cheddar cheese, diced green onions, sour cream, and a little cilantro for freshness.
Chili Sides: Choose a selection of sides like tortilla chips, tater tots, and cornbread. These items will serve as the perfect complement to the chili.
Beans: If some guests are adverse to beans, you can omit them from the chili and offer black beans and kidney beans as options to add in.
Proteins: If you're making your chili from scratch, consider offering both ground beef and a vegetarian chili options.
Types of Cheese: Aside from cheddar, include a variety of cheeses like queso fresco, Mexican blend, or queso dip which pairs wonderfully with chili.
The best chili toppings can add texture, flavor, and a delightful contrast to your bowl of chili. You'll never again ask, "what goes well with chili?" Here are some popular chili toppings to consider.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese is a classic topping that adds a creamy and slightly tangy contrast to the spicy and savory flavors of chili.
- Sour Cream provides a nice balance to the heat of the chili, and it complements the richness of the dish.
- Chopped Green Onions add a fresh, slightly oniony crunch and a hint of color to your chili.
- Fresh Cilantro brings a burst of herbal, citrusy flavor and a touch of brightness.
- Diced Avocado adds a refreshing and creamy element to your chili.
- Sliced Jalapeños or Hot Peppers are perfect if you like your chili extra spicy.
- Lime Wedges can provide a zesty kick to your chili.
- Salsa, whether it's mild or spicy, can contribute extra tomato flavor and some heat.
- Tortilla Chips or Corn Chips (Fritos) add a crispy, crunchy texture to your chili. They're great for scooping up every last bit.
- Black Olives provide a briny, savory contrast, and Mediterranean twist.
- Bacon Bits can enhance the salty, smoky flavor of your chili.
- Grated Parmesan or Queso Fresco add depth and creaminess. Queso fresco is a great choice for a more authentic Mexican flavor.
- Chopped Onions add a nice crunchy bite. Try adding diced white or red onions for an extra layer of onion flavor.
- Saltine Crackers, Oyster Crackers, or any of your favorite crackers can be used for a hearty crunch.
- Fresh Tomatoes can be diced and added for a refreshing element to the chili.
- Pickled Red Onions bring a tangy and slightly sweet note to your chili.
- Guacamole provides creaminess and a burst of avocado flavor.
- Crispy Fried Onions are salty and crunchy and a great addition on top of chili. They can be found in the snack or condiment section of your grocery store.
- Queso Dip can add a delicious cheesy flavor and a bit of heat.
- Rice can be served alongside your chili or on top for extra substance. Try cilantro-lime rice for added flavor.
- Corn Bread is a traditional side served with chili.
- Baked Potatoes are the perfect blank canvas to be topped with your favorite chili.
Remember, the best chili toppings depend on your personal preferences and the type of chili you're making.
Mix and match these toppings to create your own signature bowl of chili. Whether you like it spicy, creamy, or refreshing, there are endless possibilities to explore.
Feel free to tailor your Chili Charcuterie Board to your preferences and dietary needs. You can substitute ingredients like:
- Vegan chili for a plant-based option.
- Gluten-free cornbread for those with dietary restrictions.
- Various cheeses and dairy-free alternatives.
How to Make a Chili Charcuterie Board
Begin by making your favorite chili recipe, ensuring you have enough for your guests. Keep it warm in a slow cooker or on the stove until right before serving time.
Lay out your large cutting board or a large serving platter with smaller bowls for toppings, sides, and accompaniments.
Use a hot pad under the chili bowl to keep from damaging the board. Arrange the toppings and sides around the chili.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Provide small bowls for guests to serve their chili and sides.
- Label each section of your chili board for easy identification.
Experiment with different ingredients and themes to take your chili bar party to the next level:
- Chili Dogs: Grill or cook some all-beef hot dogs and have your guests add chili and toppings on top for a delicious chili-dog dinner.
- Cincinnati Style: Serve the chili on top of spaghetti pasta for a Cincinnati-style chili.
- Seafood Lovers' Chili Board: Include shrimp, crab meat, and fish for a unique twist.
- Tex-Mex Chili Board: Add jalapeños, guacamole, and salsa for an extra kick.
- International Chili Board: Explore flavors from around the world with toppings like Greek yogurt and feta cheese.
- Vegan Chili Board: Replace meat with plant-based proteins like tempeh or tofu.
How to Serve Chili at a Party
To host a successful chili-themed gathering consider these tips.
Plan a chili dinner party menu that includes your Chili Charcuterie Board, a selection of beverages, and a dessert like brownies or cinnamon rolls.
Make chili buffet by setting up a chili bar with different types of chili and toppings.
Add a chili cook-off competition to make it more exciting.
Good Sides for Chili
Apple and Blue Cheese Salad is super flavorful and a delicious salad your guests will love.
TikTok Mac and Cheese is made in the oven and you don't have to cook the noodles beforehand.
Air Fryer Potato Puffs are great on the side or guests can serve chili on top of them.
Consider classic sides like baked potatoes, coleslaw, and potato salad as well.
Chili Charcuterie Board
- 1 large charcuterie board
- 1 pot chili
Optional Toppings (measurements are just a guide)
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup red onion (finely diced)
- ½ cup green onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup jalapeños
- 1 large avocado (diced)
- 1 lime (sliced into wedges)
- 1 large fresh tomato (diced)
- 1 cup queso dip
- ½ cup bacon bits
- ½ cup crispy fried onions
- pickled red onions
- tortilla chips
- crackers (oyster, round, saltines)
- black olives (whole or sliced)
- corn bread (sliced into portions)
- butter (for the cornbread)
- baked potatoes
- Place the pot of chili in the center of the charcuterie board. You may need to add a hot pad under the pot to prevent damage to the board.
- Use small bowls to hold the toppings. Add the toppings around the chili. Fill the open areas with cornbread, tortilla chips, and Fritos.
- Add small spoons to the bowls and tongs to the board for serving the toppings.